Sunday, May 17, 2015

Where the Red Fern Grows #1

Dear fellow bloggers,

     As I have recently finished my first reading section in Where The Red Fern Grows, by Wilson Rawls I have gained some different opinions on some events if the story. I've been very happy to get to know Billy, the main character through his adventures so far and i can't wait to get to know him better. "I was ten years old" (Rawls 16) Billy said; Billy lives on a, "Beautiful valley far back in the rugged Ozarks. The country was new and sparsely settled" (Rawls 17), Billy lives with his mom, dad, and his sisters. Billy's Grandfather lives downtown, and Billy works there for some money. I believe that the setting of the story helps make the story more action packed and the setting helps the reader understand the character and their background. What do you guys think?

     In the very beginning of the book, Billy comes across a dogfight occurring, "I was walking along whistling when i heard the dogfight. As the sound of the dogfight grew nearer, I could tell there were quite a few dogs mixed up in it" (Rawls 11) "Taking off my coat, i waded in. My yelling and scolding didn't didn't have much effect, but the swinging coat did. The dogs scattered and left" (Rawls 12). This shows that Billy is a kind hearted person and would do anything to help protect the dogs even if he gets hurt trying. The reader gets a glimpse at some of Billy's important character traits and can see that he has a strong passion for dogs. How do you guys feel about Billy and his actions. Were they irrational or not?

     I personally really enjoy the authors word choices. The author uses old words form around an older time period, also the author uses some phrases and words that a little country boy like Billy would definitely say. The authors choice of words for country people is very interesting, "He laughed and asked where I lived. I said "Back in the hills" He said "Oh, you're a hillbilly"(Rawls 37). I believe that some of this language is different to others because the "hillbillies" or country-side people talk slightly different than us with more abbreviations, and with a thicker accent. Tell me what you guys think?

                                                                                                                                                Sincerely,


                                                                                                                                                 Jacob Dahl

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jacob,
    I'm writing back to you about your questions hope you enjoy.
    I agree with you one hundred percent about the word choices I think words like "hillbilly"(Rawls 37). It gives more character to the book. I thought he was pretty irrational when the dog fight happened but it was a kind thing to do."I heard the dog fight"(Rawls 12).Also if he heard the dog fight why didn't he want to stop it right away. If he didn't intervene the dog could have gotten hurt worse. But wild dogs can be viscous and have rabies so that's why I say it was irrational.
    Sincerely,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete