Thursday, May 21, 2015

Where the Red Fern Grows #2

Dear Group Members,
                                   I would like to discuss with you my feeling on the second part of Where the Red Fern Grows. It is really good and I had to stop myself from reading on. I have some comments and questions I'd like you to hear.
                                   One part where I related with Billy was when he caught his first coon."I was as proud as Papa would've been if someone had given him a dozen Missouri mules"(Rawls 91). I did something I was so proud of that I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the day. I think we were equally proud of what we've done. His mom made the coon fur into a hat. He loved the hat and wore it proudly atop his head. But instead of using traps now he was training his dogs to get the coons. His dogs get so many coons furs he makes a fortune. He sells them to his grandpa for money and gives the money to his dad. So he himself doesn't keep the money but his dad is saving it up for something. What was his dad saving up for? Why does he let his mom make into a hat?
                                   I loved how in this part of the book it talks about the training of the dogs and how he gets coons. One particular part really made me laugh. It was when the hunters were talking how his dogs were too small to be a hunting dogs. Billy was mad but didn't let them know it. When he went hunting and came back they were still talking about them."'I never saw hounds so small...Little Ann is half as smart as he says she is...one of these nights a big old coon is going to carry her off to his den and raise some little coon puppies'". So he said "'Let's go in the store...and see who has the most hides in there'"(Rawls 93). That shut them up really fast. I actually laughed out loud. Why did he let them go so far? Why were the hunters being mean about his dogs? Were they jealous?
                                  At the end of the section something happens that's really scary. Little Ann falls in ice water!!! That scared me so much."Her paws were almost at the edge"(Rawls 106). She was slipping into the ice! Old Dan couldn't get her out and Billy was too heavy to go on the ice. Then Billy heard a boat. He was yelling to the boat but I don't think he heard them. He heard another sound and ... I had to stop reading. Why was Little Ann in the water? Does she die? Did someone/something shove her in there?
                                 Thank you fellow group members for reading my response to the book I hope you enjoy the rest like me.
Sincerely,
Bella Browne

No comments:

Post a Comment